- 1 pound chicken, cubed
- 2 tablespoons sake
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups plus 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Small handful dried chiles, such as arbol or japones
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon toasted and crushed Sichuan peppercorns
- 3 scallions, cut on the bias
- Marinate chicken in sake and soy sauce for 30 minutes.
- Add cornstarch and egg whites.
- In a small saucepan, heat 3 cups vegetable oil to 375 degrees.
- Working in batches, drop pieces of chicken in oil and remove when golden. Season with salt.
- In a pan, heat 1 tablespoon of oil on medium-high and fry chiles and garlic until browned.
- Add crushed peppercorns.
- Toss with chicken in a large bowl. Garnish with scallions.