- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 x 400g/14 ounces can chickpeas
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 100 grams feta, cut into cubes
- 1 lemon, zest grated
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a small pan. Fry the onion over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and fry for a further two minutes and remove from the heat.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas and transfer to a mixing bowl. Add the sautéed onion and garlic and crush together with a potato masher until the mixture is broken down.
- Add the cumin, mixed herbs and mix well. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Add the egg and mix together.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. Divide the mixture into 6 golf ball-sized balls and insert a piece of feta. Place on a lined baking tray. Rest in the fridge for 20-30 minutes.
- Remove the falafel from the fridge, drizzle with the remaining oil and bake for 30 minutes, or until crisp and golden-brown.
- Serve with a squeeze of lemon and lemon zest.