- 4 heads of garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon green garlic, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 tablespoon crushed black pepper
- 1 tbsp parsley
- ½ mozzarella & processed cheese
- ¼ cup warm water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast*
- ¼ cups bread flour
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 cups cool water (you may not need all of the water)
- Cut the top of each head of garlic, and drizzle with olive oil. Wrap in aluminum foil and roast at 400°F for 1 hour.
- Add butter, salt, green garlic, and crushed black pepper into a bowl. Squeeze in roasted garlic, and mix until fully combined.
- Measure the warm water in a small bowl and sprinkle the yeast on top. Set aside and allow the yeast to dissolve and become foamy.
- Measure the bread flour into a large bowl and stir in the salt.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture, and stir in the dissolved yeast.
- Add the cool water, a little at a time, while stirring, just until a stiff, shaggy dough has formed (you may not need to use all of the water).
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow it to rest for 30 minutes.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface, and gently press it into a rectangle and fold into thirds. Turn 90 degrees and repeat.
- Place the dough in a large oiled bowl, and cover with plastic wrap. Allow it to rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk (about 1 to 2 hours).
- Divide the dough into 4 equal portions, and shape each one into a long loaf (about 15-inches long and 1 1/2-inches in diameter), with pointed ends.
- Place the loaves on a floured towel, cover with oiled plastic wrap, and allow to rise until doubled in bulk (about 30 to 45 minutes).
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F, and place a pan of water on the bottom rack.
- Uncover the baguettes and transfer to lightly greased baking sheets.
- Sprinkle with flour, and make 4 elongated slashes down each one with a lame, razor, or sharp knife.
- Bake the bread until crusty and brown. The baguettes should give a hollow sound when tapped.
- Half the baguettes, and brush with garlic butter. Add cheese
- Bake in 400°F oven for 15 minutes until golden.
- Slice baguettes into segments, serve, and enjoy!